Stage 3 Water Restrictions
The City of McKinney is in Stage 3 of the Drought Contingency Plan. Landscape watering with an irrigation system is allowed one day a week on your residential trash pickup day if needed, not between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Stage 3 Water Restriction Policies
- Landscape watering with sprinklers or irrigation systems is limited to one day a week if needed, on your residential trash pickup day.
- Water use via hose with an end cut-off for washing, rinsing or other maintenance purposes is allowed on any day.
- Foundations, shrubs, trees and turf grass may be watered for up to two hours on any day by a hand-held hose, a soaker hose or a dedicated zone using a drip irrigation system.
- Public athletic fields which are in use for competition at least once per week may be watered as needed.
- Golf courses may water greens and tee boxes as needed.
- Power washing any paved surface is permitted.
- A property that uses an alternate source of water supply for irrigation, other than treated water from the city, may irrigate without restrictions.
- Newly constructed pools, Jacuzzis, and spas may be filled.
- Pools, Jacuzzis and spas may be drained and refilled after repairs only after a variance is issued by the Water Utilities and Infrastructure Director.
- Existing pools, Jacuzzis and spas may be replenished to maintain operational levels.
- Commercial car wash facilities including service stations and automobile dealerships are permitted to operate.
- Commercial nurseries may water inventory as needed.
- ET / Smart irrigation systems as defined in Chapter 110, Article VIII, “Landscape Water Management,” shall comply with the first bullet point above.
- Water use during any period of precipitation is prohibited.
- Using water in such a manner as to allow excessive runoff or other waste is prohibited.
- Landscape watering under the first bullet point above is prohibited between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. from April 1 through October 31.
- Hydro seeding, hydro mulching and sprigging are prohibited.
- Wholesale customers shall implement similar procedures, including the prohibition of the operation of all ornamental fountains or other amenity impoundments to the extent they use treated water. **
To report a water violation, please call the water restriction hotline at 972-439-1059 or report a water restriction violation online. If you are contacting us by phone, we must have the following information to investigate the violation:
- Exact address of the location you are reporting
- Date of the water violation
- Time of day the violation occurred
- Your name and phone number so we may contact you if additional information is needed.
Violating the Stage 3 water restrictions could result in a penalty. Penalties will be delivered through your regular water bill. Failure to pay the penalties can result in the water to your home or business being shut off. Please call 972-439-1059for questions regarding water violation penalties.
- First penalty - Warning
- Second penalty - $50
- Third and subsequent - $100
- Fourth and subsequent - $150
Find more information about City of McKinney water programs under Water / Waste Water or call 972-547-7360
All News Articles
Why the SAT Had to ChangeRead More